At Geffen Academy, affinity groups provide a safe space for individuals of shared identity to celebrate, mourn, educate, and support one another, as well as discuss issues relating to their specific communities. Within our school, affinity groups serve as smaller communities for individuals of shared identities to meet, form friendships, explore, and take pride in their identity.
Beyond our individual groups, we also collaborate and explore intersectionality to build solidarity and understanding with people of different identities.
Affinity groups are open to students across grades 6-12 and typically meet biweekly (sometimes more). All affinity groups have student leads and an Educator advisor.
The affinity groups for the 2020-2021 school year are as follows:
- Black Student Union (BSU)
- Gender Sexuality Alliance (GSA)
- Latinx Student Association (LSA)
- Asian Pacific Islander Desi American (APIDA)
- Middle Eastern Student Association (MESA)
- Multiracial Student Association (MSA)
- Jewish Affinity Group (JAG)
- Christian Affinity Group (CAG)
- Atheist League
- White Anti-Racist Group
To read a June 2020 joint statement from Geffen Academy's student affinity groups, click here