A key mechanism by which we build school community is through grade-wide and division-wide assemblies we call Community Time. These gatherings offer students and Educators moments to engage with culturally relevant topics and events in a dynamic, interactive setting.
Some of our past Community Times have included:
To learn more about Geffen Academy's school community, visit our Video Gallery page.
- A conversation with Donzaleigh Abernathy, civil rights activist and actress
- A keynote by Lawrence Ross on institutional racism on high school and college campuses
- A conversation with Sam Mihara, a survivor of Japanese internment camps during WWII
- Lunar New Year celebrations
- Nowruz celebrations
- Grade-level trivia competitions
- Halloween costume contest
- Holiday gingerbread house competition